Debit Card Safety Tips
Be cautious when using your ATM or Debit Card. For your own safety, be careful. Follow these safeguards to protect yourself.
Approaching the Automated Teller Machine (ATM)
- When you make a transaction, be aware of your surroundings. Look out for suspicious activity near the ATM, particularly if is dark. At night, be sure the facility is well lit. If you observe any problem, go to another machine.
- Have your card ready. Prepare your transactions at home to minimize your time at the ATM.
- Keep your doors locked and all passenger windows closed if you are using a drive-up ATM.
Using the ATM
- Block the view of others as you enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN), using your body to shield their view.
- Do not display your cash; put it away immediately. Count your cash later when you are in a secure surrounding.
- Do not leave your card, your cash, your receipt or any documents at the facility.
- Do not accept assistance from a stranger when using an ATM.
- Mark each transaction in your account record, but not while at the ATM.
- Memorize your PIN. Never write your PIN on your card or anything that you carry near your card.
- Protect the secrecy of your PIN. Do not tell anyone your PIN. Never give your PIN over the phone, especially cell phones.
- Protect your card as though it were cash. Do not loan your card to anyone.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately. Call us at 515-288-0111 during regular business hours and we can change the status of the card. After business hours, contact SHAZAM at 1-800-383-8000. You can be liable for activity on your card if you do not report it in a timely manner.
- Always save your receipts, do not leave them at the ATM facility because they may contain important account information. Compare your records with the account statements you receive.
- Do not expose the magnetic strip to other magnetic objects, which can deactivate your card.